Zucchini Bars with Dried Fruit
- Shredded carrots can be substituted for the zucchini, but you might need to add a little more milk, because zucchini contains more liquid than carrots.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup low-fat or fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) finely chopped dried fruit, such as figs, prunes, dates, apples or raisins
1. Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
2. Preheat oven to 375º F.
3. Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking pan.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
5. Add butter, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
6. Stir in zucchini and dried fruit.
7. Spread batter in prepared pan.
8. Bake about 25 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed.
9. Cool in pan.
10. Cut into 8 bars and serve.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 273; Carbohydrate, 46 g; Protein, 4 g; Total Fat, 9 g; Saturated Fat, 2 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 27 mg; Fiber, 4 g; Total Sugars, 21 g; Sodium, 335 mg; Calcium, 43 mg, Folate, 3 mcg, Iron, 2 mg; Percent of Calories from Fat, 30%.
Makes 8 servings.