Tasty Taco Rice Salad
Rate this Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 ½ cups instant brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 seeded jalapeño, finely chopped
- 2 cups spinach or romaine lettuce
- 1 ½ cups low-fat cheese, shredded
- Wash hands with soap and warm water.
- Wash onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, and spinach or romaine lettuce before preparing.
- Cook ground meat in a large skillet until brown (160⁰ F). Drain off fat. Rinse meat with warm water to remove the grease.*
- Add rice, water, onion, and chili powder to meat in skillet.
- Cover. Simmer over low heat about 15 minutes to cook rice.
- Add tomatoes and jalapeño. Heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Place layers of spinach or romaine lettuce, rice mixture, and cheese on plate.
- Serve immediately.
* Do not pour grease down the drain. Let grease harden, then put it in the trash
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 191; Carbohydrate, 19 g; Protein, 18.8 g; Total Fat, 4.5 g; Saturated Fat, 2 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 35 mg; Fiber, 2 g; Total Sugars, 3 g; Sodium, 260 mg; Calcium, 110 mg; Folate, 30 mcg; Iron, 1.75 mg; Calories from Fat, 22%
Courtesy of Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
8 servings, approximately 1 ½ cups each