Rate this Recipe
- 6 ounces uncooked pasta (penne, spirals, or macaroni)
- ½ cup onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ Teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 can (13 ounces) chopped spinach, well drained and chopped; or chop up other types of low sodium canned spinach
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- In a medium heat skillet, cook onion, and garlic in oil until onion is soft. If using basil, add that too. Add pepper strips; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach; heat through.
- Toss in the pasta. If using Parmesan cheese, add that too.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 248; Carbohydrate, 39 g; Protein, 9 g; Total Fat, 6 g; Saturated Fat, 1 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 5 mg; Fiber, 4 g; Total Sugars, 3 g; Sodium, 125 mg; Calcium, 150 mg; Folate, 119 mcg; Iron, 3 mg; Percent Calories from Fat, 19%.
Recipe courtesy of United States Department of Agriculture, Household Commodity Fact Sheet/Recipes
Makes 4 servings.