Sopa de Fideo
Rate this Recipe
- 1 teaspoon oil (ex. olive, canola, or vegetable)
- 2 cups thin spaghetti, about ½ a box of thin spaghetti, broken into small pieces or 2 cups fideos
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 vegetable of your choice (ex. carrot or zucchini or summer squash), finely chopped
- ½ cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (stems included), chopped, split in recipe (1 tablespoon cilantro, optional, for toppings)
- 4 cups liquid (water, broth, or stock)
- ½ cup dark leafy greens (ex. spinach, kale, chard), chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or the juice from ½ a lime (optional, for toppings)
- Wash hands with soap and warm water.
- Rinse fresh vegetables before preparing and prepare as directed above.
- In a medium size saucepan, heat oil on medium low heat.
- Add thin spaghetti or fideos to saucepan and stir until lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and vegetable of your choice (carrot or zucchini or summer squash) to saucepan.
- Continue to cook until pasta is golden brown and vegetables begin to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, garlic, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and liquid.
- Simmer on medium low heat until pasta is cooked, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add dark leafy greens, if using, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If using, garnish with additional chopped cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 350; Carbohydrate, 65 g; Protein, 15 g; Total Fat, 4.5 g; Saturated Fat, 1 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 5 mg; Fiber, 5 g; Total Sugars, 6 g; Sodium, 610 mg; Calcium, 29 mg; Folate, 174 mcg; Iron, 3 mg.
Makes 3 servings, approximately 1 cup each