Shepard’s Pie with Lentils (Vegetarian)
Rate this Recipe
- For the gravy:
- 2 teaspoons oil (ex. olive, canola, or vegetable)
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup broth (use vegetable broth to make the dish vegetarian)
- For the filling:
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- ½ teaspoon paprika or chili powder (or your favorite seasonings)
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion or onion powder (or your favorite seasonings)
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder (or your favorite seasonings)
- ¼ teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1 cup frozen or canned vegetables (ex. peas, carrots, or mixed vegetables)
- 1 ½ to 2 cups instant mashed potatoes, cooked according to package instructions or 1 ½ to 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash hands with soap and warm water.
- Rinse vegetables before preparing and prepare as directed above.
- In a medium saucepan on medium low heat, add oil, onion, and garlic. Cook until onion and garlic are soft and fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add flour to saucepan and stir to combine. Cook for additional 1-2 minutes to form a thick paste, also known as a roux. Add broth and mix well, until there are no lumps of flour remaining. Simmer until gravy has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Mix lentils, spices, and frozen vegetables into the gravy and stir to combine. Cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a medium sized baking pan (8×8 or 9×9) add filling and spread evenly.
- Add prepared instant mashed potatoes on top of lentils and spread evenly to form a potato crust.
- Bake in oven at 375°F until the lentil mixture begins to bubble, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 170; Carbohydrate, 27 g; Protein, 7 g; Total Fat, 3.5 g; Saturated Fat, 0.5 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 0 mg; Fiber, 6 g; Total Sugars, 3 g; Sodium, 580 mg; Calcium, 28 mg; Folate, 117 mcg; Iron, 3 mg.
Makes 6 servings, approximately 1 cup each