Rate this Recipe
- ¾ cup brown rice, long-grain, regular, dry
- 6 tablespoons barley, quick pearl, dry
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium chicken base
- 2 tablespoons quinoa, dry
- 3 tablespoons bulgur wheat, dry
- 1 cup fresh carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 cup fresh red bell peppers, seeded, diced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3½ cups cooked diced chicken, ½-inch pieces (12 oz.)
- 1½ cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium pot, combine brown rice, barley, and 1 teaspoon chicken base with 1¼ cups water.
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear, not cloudy. In a small pot, combine quinoa and bulgur wheat with ¾ cup water and remaining 1 teaspoon chicken base.
- Bring both uncovered pots to a rolling boil. Stir occasionally. Turn heat down and simmer over low heat until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes over low heat. Fluff with a fork.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine carrots and red peppers. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss lightly. Pour into a large nonstick baking pan. Roast at 350°F for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Combine cooked grains, chicken, and spinach with roasted vegetables. Mix well. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes to an internal temperature of 165°F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Nutrient analysis per serving: Calories, 240; Carbohydrate, 37g; Protein, 16g; Total Fat, 3.5g; Saturated Fat, 0.5g; TransFat, 0g; Cholesterol, 30mg; Fiber, 5gm; Total Sugars, 2gm; Sodium, 150mg; Calcium, 40mg; Folate 30, mcg; Iron 2, mg; Percent Calories from Fat, 12%.
Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each.