1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound dried lentils, washed and picked over
8 cups cold water
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon each black pepper and ground cumin
1 teaspoon mint flakes or dried thyme or oregano, crumbled
3 bay leaves
1 can (4 ounces) mild green chilies, drained and chopped
1 medium red pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1/3 cup fresh lime juice or to taste (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
1. In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil.
2. Add lentils, water, salt, black pepper, cumin, chosen seasonings, and bay leaves, then bring to a boil over moderate heat. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. Add more water as needed.
3. Add the green chilies, red pepper, and carrots; simmer 15 more minutes, or until the lentils are very soft.
4. Before serving, remove and discard the bay leaves and stir in the lime juice; adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Serve hot.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Servings:Makes 12 servings, Serving Size ¾ cup.
Calories, 160; Carbohydrate, 26 gm; Protein, 11 gm; Total Fat, 2 gm; Saturated Fat, 0.10 gm; Trans Fat, 0 gm; Cholesterol, 0 mg; Fiber, 6 gm; Total Sugars, 1.95 gm; Sodium, 237 mg; Calcium, 31 mg; Folate, 8.5 mcg; Iron, 2.36 mg; Calories from Fat, 11.%.