Greens and Beans
Rate this Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup onions, diced
- ⅔ cup sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon paprika, dried, ground
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, dried and ground
- ½ teaspoon ginger, dried and ground
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried, ground
- 5 cups packed collard greens, raw, stems removed, chopped into long thick strips
- ¼ cup salsa
- 2 cups water
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh fruits and vegetables before preparing them.
- Heat oil in a medium pot on medium-high. Add onions and sweet potatoes; saute until onions are soft.
- Add garbanzo beans and dried spices. Continue cooking and stir frequently.
- Add collard greens and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add salsa and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until thickened and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 163; carbohydrate, 27 g; protein, 6 g; total fat, 5 g; saturated fat, 1 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 2 mg; fiber, 2 g; total sugars, 1 g; sodium, 235 mg; calcium, 142 mg; folate, 76 mcg; iron, 10 mg; percent calories from fat, 27%.
Makes 6 servings, ⅔ cup each.