Green Chili Muffins
Rate this Recipe
- Non-fat cooking spray or paper liners
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole kernel corn, well drained
- 1 can (4 ½ ounces) diced green chilies, well drained, divided
- ½ cup shredded low-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Wash hands with warm water and soap.
2. Preheat oven to 400° F.
3. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with non-fat cooking spray or line with paper liners and set aside.
4. Mix together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and cayenne.
5. In separate bowl, lightly beat egg. Add milk, canola oil, corn and all but 2 tablespoons of chilies and mix together.
6. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
7. Fill each muffin cup half full. Top each with 1 teaspoon of cheese.
8. Divide remaining batter evenly among muffin cups.
9. Sprinkle each top with 1 teaspoon of cheese and ½ teaspoon of remaining green chilies.
10. Bake for 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
11. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
12. Remove muffins from pan and continue cooling on rack.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 152; carbohydrate, 23 g; protein, 5 g; total fat, 5 g; saturated fat 1 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 19 mg; fiber, 2 g; total sugars, 4 g; sodium, 461 mg; calcium, 75 mg; folate, 21 mcg; iron, 1 mg; percent of calories from fat, 30%.
Makes 12 Servings, 1 muffin each