Chicken Vegetable Soup with Kale
- ½ cup peeled and chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 cloves peeled and finely diced garlic
- 3 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cubed, cooked, skinless chicken
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups chopped kale
1. Wash hands with warm water and soap.
2. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
3. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
4. Add onion and carrot to pan. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 5-8 minutes.
5. Stir in thyme and garlic. Cook for one minute.
6. Add broth, tomatoes, cooked rice, chicken and kale.
7. Simmer for 5-10 minutes before serving.
8. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 264; Carbohydrate, 27 gm; Protein, 22 gm; Total Fat, 9 gm; Saturated Fat, 2 gm; Trans Fat, 0 gm; Cholesterol, 39 mg; Fiber, 4 gm; Total Sugars, 3 gm; Sodium, 126 mg; Calcium, 114 mg; Folate, 32.5 mcg; Iron, 2.6 mg; Calories from Fat, 30%.
Source - USDA, SNAP-Ed Connection Recipe Finder; Washington State University, The Washington Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program, Puyallup Research and Extension Center.
Makes 3 servings, approximately 2 ½ cups each.