- 1 ½ pounds chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans or 1 15-ounce can of low sodium pinto
- ½ cup thinly sliced radishes
- 8 thin slices white onion
- 4 bolillos or french bread rolls
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese or crumbled queso añejo
- Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Place chicken in a large pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is cook thoroughly (about 30 minutes).
- Drain chicken and let cool.
- Shred chicken.
- Place beans in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until warm.
- Lightly mash beans with a fork; Set aside.
- Cut each bolillo or each french roll in half lengthwise.
- Divide chicken, beans, lettuce, radishes and onion evenly into four servings.
- Place one serving of ingredients on bottom half of each roll. Top with salsa and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place other half of the roll on top.
- Serve immediately.
Cooking Tip: Beans can be heated in a microwave on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 241; Carbohydrate, 43 g; Protein, 29 g; Total Fat, 4 g; Saturated Fat, 1 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 53 g; Fiber, 5 g; Total Sugars, 3 g; Sodium, 205 mg; Calcium, 67 mg; Folate, 84 mcg; Iron, 3 mg; Percent Calories from Fat, 15%.
Makes 8 servings, ½ roll each.