Beautiful Pot of Beans
Rate this Recipe
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried spices (cumin, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, etc)
- Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash produce and chop as directed.
- Spread beans on a tray to pick out and discard any small stones.
- Transfer beans to a strainer and rinse.
- Place beans in a large pot and cover with a few inches of cold water and soak over night.
- After soaking, drain and rinse. Add beans back to the pot.
- Add all the other ingredients to the pot. Add enough fresh water to cover beans by about 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 ½ hours until beans are tender. Remove bay leaves.
- Serve hot or cool and refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 140; carbohydrate, 25 g; protein, 8 g; total fat, 0.5 g; saturated fat, 0 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 0 mg; fiber, 6 g; total sugars, 1 g; sodium, 30 mg; calcium, 48 mg; folate, 201 mcg; iron, 2 mg; percent calories from fat, 3%.
Makes 12 portions, approximately ½ cup each.