- 4 Granny Smith or Gala apples (with skin)
- ¼ cup no sugar added apple juice or apple cider
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the cinnamon yogurt topping:
- 2½ cups fat free vanilla yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon honey*
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- * Honey should not be fed to infants less than one year of age
- Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh fruit before preparing.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Core and thinly slice apples. Place apples in a medium bowl and toss with apple juice.
- Mix brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together in a small bowl. Sprinkle over apples and stir gently until apples are coated.
- Pour apples into prepared baking dish. Bake 45-50 minutes or until apples are slightly browned at edges and sauce is bubbling.
- For the cinnamon yogurt topping: Mix yogurt with honey and cinnamon. Store in refrigerator until apples are done baking.
- Serve ¼ of the warm apple mixture with ¼ of the yogurt topping.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 300; carbohydrate, 68 g; protein, 8 g; total fat, 0 g; saturated fat, 0 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 3 mg; fiber, 5 g; total sugars, 57 g; sodium, 260 mg; calcium, 288 mg; folate, 0 mcg; iron, 0 mgl percent calories from fat, 0%.
Recipe adapted from 3-A-Day™.
Makes 4 servings.