Rate this Recipe
- 1 pound venison or beef stew meat cut into large chunks
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 8 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots sliced thickly, or ½ cup baby carrots
- 1 cup fresh or frozen okra
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons Parsley chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- ½ jalapeño chile seeded and minced
- lemon wedges
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- In a heavy soup pot, combine the meat, onions, water, garlic, rosemary, paprika and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to very low, cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in vegetables, parsley, chile and black pepper. Simmer, partially covered for 1 hour, or until meat is tender. If using frozen okra and/or corn, add to the pot during the last 15 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon wedges over stew before serving. Serve with Whole Wheat Fry Bread or whole wheat bread.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 264; Carbohydrate, 38 g; Protein, 22 g; Total Fat, 4 g; Saturated Fat, 2 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 48 mg; Fiber, 7 g; Total Sugars, 7 g; Sodium, 480 mg; Calcium, 78 mg; Folate, 875 mcg; Iron, 3 mg; Percent Calories from Fat, 14%.
Makes 6 servings, approximately 2 cups each.