Roasted Eggplant and Red Pepper Sandwich
Rate this Recipe
- 8 slices French or Italian bread
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in ½-inch slices
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, cut in strips
- Vegetable oil spray
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Lay the bread on the broiler pan, spray with vegetable oil spray, and toast lightly on both sides.
- Remove toasted bread from broiler, rub the top of each with garlic, and set aside.
- Reduce the oven heat to 450F.
- Lay the eggplant slices on a greased baking sheet and coat lightly with vegetable oil spray.
- Season with pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until tender and caramelized.
- Cover each slice of bread with the roasted eggplant and lay the red pepper strips over the top.
- Give each one a quick spray of vegetable oil spray and serve.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories, 220; Carbohydrate, 32 g; Protein, 6 g; Total Fat, 2 g; Saturated Fat, 0 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 0 mg; Fiber, 7 g; Total Sugars, 5 g; Sodium, 397 mg; Calcium, 67 mg; Folate, 107 mcg; Iron, 2 mg; Percent Calories from Fat, 8%.
Recipe from "Do Yourself a Flavor" by Graham Kerr.
Makes 4 servings, 2 pieces each.