Eggs with Nopales
- 1 medium bell pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh nopales
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 6 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup reduced fat cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheeses, grated
- ½ cup salsa
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh fruits and vegetables before preparing them.
- Place bell pepper in the oven and broil for a few minutes on each side to blacken skin. Place in a small paper bag and fold over the top; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Rub off skin from the peppers. Cut open, remove seeds, and chop.
- Spray a medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add onions and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until very soft.
- Stir in bell pepper and nopales and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add tomato and chili powder and remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites, whole eggs, and salt. Add to skillet; stir and cook for 5 minutes or until eggs are cooked through.
- Top with cheese and salsa. Serve immediately with warm tortillas.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 92; Carbohydrate, 7 g; Protein, 10 g; Total Fat, 3 g; Saturated Fat, 1 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 6 mg; Fiber, 2 g; Total Sugars, 53 g; Sodium, 300 mg; Calcium, 89 mg; Folate, 29 mcg; Iron, 13 mg; Percent Calories from Fat, 29%.
Makes 4 servings, 1 cup each.