Delightful Carrot Salad
- 8 large carrots
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 3 cups (about 1 bunch) chopped fresh spinach
- ¼ thinly sliced, small red onion
1. Wash hands with warm water and soap.
2. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
3. Peel carrots and cut into thin slices.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add sliced carrots and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes.
5. When carrots are done, drain and transfer to a large bowl.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice, oil, low sodium soy sauce, ginger, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Pour mixture over carrots.
7. Add cilantro, spinach and onions into carrots and toss until everything is coated.
8. Chill for at least 1/2 hour before serving.
9. Serve cold.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 80; Carbohydrate, 13 g; Protein, 3 g; Total Fat, 3 g; Saturated Fat, 0 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 0 mg; Fiber, 4 g; Total Sugars, 6 g; Sodium, 201 mg; Calcium, 90 mg; Folate, 131 mcg; Iron, 1.9 mg; Calories from Fat, 31%.
Courtesy of Anne Stears, M.S., R.D., Health Educator, University of Arizona SNAP-Ed program.
Makes 6 servings, approximately 1 cup each.