Carrots and Chayote with Lemon
- 3 large carrots
- 2 Tablespoons green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 chayote
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 garlic clove
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash vegetables with water before preparing.
- Peel and cut carrots and chayote into 2-inch long strips.
- In a large skillet, over high heat: add carrots, chayote and water. Once it comes to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer; continue to cook for about 8 minutes, until vegetables are almost tender. Uncover, raise heat to a medium-high and let water evaporate.
- Add oil and garlic.
- Let cook for 5 minutes, while stirring frequently, or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Stir in green onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper flakes. Continue to cook for 3 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Serve warm
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 50; Carbohydrate, 9 g; Protein, 1 g; Total Fat, 2 g; Saturated Fat, 0 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 0 mg; Fiber, 4 g; Total Sugars, 4 g; Sodium, 340 mg; Calcium, 33 gm; Folate, 61 mcg; Iron, 0.5 mg; Calories from Fat, 36%.
Makes 4 servings, approximately ¾ cup each.