Rate this Recipe
- 2 cups canned kidney beans, keep liquid
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 1¼ cup grated low fat cheddar cheese*
- *Use 2% reduced fat cheese if low fat not available
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Drain the kidney beans, but save the liquid in a small bowl.
- Place the beans, vinegar, chili powder and cumin in a medium sized bowl and mash with blender or food processor. Add enough saved bean liquid to make the dip easy to spread.
- Stir in the chopped onion and grated cheese.
- Store in a tightly covered container and place in the fridge
- Serve with raw vegetable sticks or crackers. You can store this dip in the fridge for up to 4 or 5 days.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 110; carbohydrate, 13 g; protein, 10 g; total fat, 2 g; saturated fat, 1 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 5 mg; fiber, 3 g; total sugars, 2 g; sodium, 241 mg; calcium, 113 mg; folate, 3 mcg; iron, 1 mg; percent calories from fat, 16%.
Adapted from: Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network.
Makes 6 servings, approximately 1/3 cup each.