1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cups sliced red bell pepper
2 cups sliced green bell pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ pound turkey breast, cut into thin strips
1 medium apple, cored and sliced
6 whole wheat pitas, lightly toasted
½ cup low fat plain yogurt (optional)
- Wash hand with warm water and soap. Wash fresh fruits and vegetables before washing.
- In a nonstick skillet, sauté onion, lemon juice and bell peppers in oil until crisp-tender.
- Stir in turkey and cook until turkey is fully cooked (cook to 165 °F)
- Remove from heat and stir in apple.
- Fold each pita in half and fill with apple mixture; drizzle with yogurt. Serve warm.
Servings:Serves 6, 1 gyro per serving. This recipe courtesy of Network for a Healthy California.
Calories, 210; carbohydrate, 26 g; protein, 14 g; total fat, 6 g; saturated fat, 1 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 25 mg; dietary fiber, 4 g; total sugars, 8 g; sodium, 258 mg; calcium, 50 mg; folate, 32 mcg; iron, 1 mg; percent of calories from fat, 26%