Apple Bread Pudding
Rate this Recipe
- 1 can sliced apples, drained (a 20 ounce can or about 2 cups)
- 2 whole wheat bread slices, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup canned evaporated low fat (2%) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup raisins (optional)
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash fresh fruits before preparing.
- Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking dish.
- Combine apples, optional raisins and bread and place in greased baking dish. Set aside.
- Beat egg and sugar in a medium bowl thoroughly. Gradually beat in milk.
- Stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over fruit and bread mixture. Let stand about 30 minutes to soften bread.
- Preheat oven to 350⁰ F.
- Place baking dish in a large pan. Pour enough hot water to fill the outside pan with about 1 inch of water.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until done. To check if the pudding is cooked, put a knife in the pudding and then pull it out and look at the knife. If the knife looks clean, then the pudding is cooked. If you pull it out and some pudding is sticking to the knife, it is not done.
- Serve warm or cool. Refrigerate extra servings.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 170; Carbohydrate, 34 g; Protein, 5 g; Total Fat, 2 g; Saturated Fat, 0 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 42 mg; FIber, 4 gm; Total Sugars, 26 g; Sodium, 106 mg; Calcium, 172 mg; Folate, 20 mcg; Iron, 1 mg; Percent of Calories from Fat, 11%.
Makes 6 servings, approximately ½ cup each.