Stuffed Peppers with Turkey and Vegetables
- 1 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
- 3 bell peppers (green, red, or yellow)
- 10 ounces ground turkey (half a 20 ounce package)
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (or basil and oregano leaves)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- ½ onion (about ½ cup)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 chopped zucchini (about 1 cup)
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with liquid
1. Cook the rice or prepare instant rice according to package directions.
2. Cut the peppers in half from top to bottom. Remove the stem and seeds.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet), cook the turkey until no longer pink. Add seasonings during last few minutes.
4. Add onion, mushrooms, and zucchini to the skillet. Add a small amount of oil, if needed. Saute until tender.
5. Mix in the tomatoes and rice. Remove from heat.
6. Fill the pepper halves with the skillet mixture.
7. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until peppers are tender when poked with a fork.
8. Serve. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 146; Carbohydrate, 16 g; Protein, 11 g; Total Fat, 4.5 g; Saturated Fat, 1. g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 35 mg; Fiber, 3. g; Total Sugars, 5. g; Sodium, 243. mg; Calcium, 32. mg; Folate, 39. mcg; Iron, 1.9 mg; Calories from Fat, 28%.
Makes 6 servings; Serving Size ½ pepper