Red Lentil Stew
Rate this Recipe
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups split red lentils rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Stir in garlic and chili powder. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add water, lentils, tomato paste, and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes (or 30 minutes for brown lentils). Stir occasionally.
- Serve hot with your favorite whole grain bread.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories,242; Carbohydrate, 31 g; Protein, 13 g; Total Fat, 8 g; Saturated Fat, 1 g; Trans fat,0 g; Cholesterol, 0 mg; Fiber,8 g; Total Sugars, 2 g; Sodium, 247 mg; Calcium, 34 mg; Folate, 3 mcg; Iron, 3 mg; Percent Calories from Fat, 30%.
Makes 8 servings, approximately 1 cup each.