Rate this Recipe
- 1 lb dried pinto beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons fiesta spice blend
- Salt, to taste (after cooking)
- Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash produce and chop as directed.
- Spread beans on a tray to pick out and discard any small stones.
- Transfer beans to a strainer and rinse.
- Place beans in a large pot and cover with a few inches of cold water and soak over night.
- After soaking, drain and rinse. Add beans back to the pot.
- Add all the other ingredients to the pot. Add enough fresh water to cover beans by about 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 ½ hours until beans are tender. Salt to taste.
- Serve hot and refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)Calories, 140; Carbohydrate, 25 g; Protein, 8 g; Total Fat, 0.5 g; Saturated Fat, 0 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Cholesterol, 0 mg; Fiber, 6 g; Total Sugars, 1 g; Sodium, 30 mg; Calcium, 48 mg; Folate, 201 mcg; Iron, 2 mg; Percent Calories from Fat, 3%.
Makes 12 servings, approximately ½ cup each.