Caraway Cabbage Soup
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat.
- Cook the onion until it begins to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, cabbage, and caraway seeds and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve with a piece of crusty rye bread.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 107; Carbohydrate, 20 g; Protein, 5 g; Total Fat, 1 g; Saturated Fat, 0 g; Trans Fat, 0 g; Fiber, 4 g; Total Sugars, 5 g; Sodium, 239 mg; Calcium, 57 mg; Folate, 57 mcg; Iron, 1 mg; Percent Calories from Fat, 8%.
Makes 4 servings