Cagey Midwest Corn and Black Bean Chili
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 Tablespoons chopped, canned jalapeño peppers
- 3 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound frozen corn
- 1½ cups cooked black beans or 1, 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 ounce can peeled, diced tomatoes
- 2 packets chili seasoning or chili powder to taste
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- hot sauce to taste , and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream (optional)
- ½ cup fat-free Cheddar cheese (optional) chopped green onion or cilantro (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Sauté onion in vegetable oil for 8 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers, jalapeño, and garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes more, taking care not to burn garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Add pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- Top with sour cream, cheese, green onion, and/or cilantro if desired, and serve.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 186; carbohydrate, 33 g; protein, 9 g; total fat, 2 g; saturated fat, 1 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 3 g; fiber, 5 g; total sugars, 9 g; sodium, 472 mg; calcium, 93 mg; folate, 13 mcg; iron, 2 mg; percent calories from fat, 10%.
Makes 8 servings.