Broccoli Potato Soup
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth, unsalted
- 1 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes (prepared with water)
- ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup shredded Cheddar or American cheese
- Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Combine broccoli, onion and broth in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add milk to soup. Slowly stir in potatoes.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in a little more milk or water if soup becomes too thick.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle each with approximately 1 Tablespoon of cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 204; carbohydrate, 28 g; protein, 15 g; total fat, 4 g; saturated fat 2 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 32 mg; fiber, 3 g; g; sodium, 417 mg; calcium, 257, mg; folate, 60 mcg; iron 1 mg; percent of calories from fat, 18%.
Makes 4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each