Brazilian Brown Rice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 ¾ cups water
- salt to taste
- Wash hands with warm water and soap.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the crushed garlic and sauté; do not allow garlic to brown.
- Add the rice and sauté stirring frequently until the rice begins to be less transparent.
- Add the water and salt to taste. Allow water to come to a rolling boil.
- Cover the saucepan and reduce to a low heat. Allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, fluff the rice with a fork, and re-cover. Allow the rice to sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm as a side dish.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 188; carbohydrate, 36 g; protein, 4 g; total fat 3 g; saturated fat, 1 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 0 mg; fiber, 2 g; total sugars, 0 g; sodium, 7 mg; calcium, 14 mg; folate, 9 mcg; iron, 1 mg; percent calories from fat, 14%.
Recipe adapted from wholegraingourmet.com
Makes 8 servings, ½ cup each.