Black Bean Soup
- 2 cans (15 oz) unsalted black beans
- 1 can (16 oz) low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 6 Tablespoons shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 6 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Mash one can of beans with a potato masher.
- Pour both cans of beans into medium saucepan.
- Add chicken broth, salsa, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until soup is slightly thickened.
- Top each serving with 1 Tablespoon cheese and 1 Tablespoon onion and fresh cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 137; carbohydrate, 22 g; protein, 10 g; total fat, 1 g; saturated fat, 0 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 3 mg; fiber, 7 g; total sugars, 1 g; sodium, 322 mg; calcium, 97 mg; folate, 3 mcg; iron, 2 mg; percent calories from fat, 7%.
Recipe adapted from bushbeans.com
6 servings, approximately ¾ cup each