- 1 pound great northern beans
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 cups cold water
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 1 15-ounce can tomatoes, plus liquid
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Soak beans overnight.
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add beans, water, carrots, tomatoes, salt, bay leaf and parsley.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until beans are tender.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)calories, 191; carbohydrate, 31 gm; protein, 9 gm; fat, 4 gm; saturated fat, <1 gm; cholesterol, 0 mg; fiber, 10 gm; sodium, 273 gm; percent calories from fat, 18%.
Makes 9 servings, 12 ounces each.