One step at a time is ALL you need.
Walking is an easy way to start and maintain a healthy and active lifestyle. Walking does not require special skills, gym memberships, or expensive equipment and is an easy physical activity to begin. Include the whole family from young children to older adults when walking.
Ideas to Increase Walking
- Park farther away from the store, school, restaurant, or workplace
- Take public transportation and get off one stop ahead or past
- Walk with friends, family, or the dog
- Walk the malls
- Go for a lunch walk with friends
- Talk to people face-to-face (walk down the hallway)
Walking is a year-round activity that can be done indoors or is a great opportunity to go outside and enjoy the great Arizona weather.
Not only is walking great for you and your family, walking is a great way to get the whole community involved in physical activity. Walking programs can be a great way to get schools to participate and get children involved too. To see how you can get involved with walking in your community, check out the resources below:
Resources for School Walking Programs
- Walk to School - Remote Drop Off Program
- Step by Step - How to Start a Walking School Bus at Your School
- Starting a Walking School Bus - The Basics